Abuse Checklist & Safety Plans
Does your partner…
- ever snoop into your personal belongings or violate your privacy?
- insult you, call you names, make you feel stupid or unworthy?
- keep you from seeing your friends and family?
- pretend he/she is doing you a favor by staying with you?
- ever hit, slap, push, or kick you?
- throw things at you?
- break your personal belongings?
- force you to have sex?
If you answered yes to any of these, you may be in an abusive relationship.
- Think of a safe place to go if an argument occurs – avoid rooms with no exits (i.e. bathroom) or rooms with weapons (i.e. kitchen).
- Have a safety plan with a trusted neighbor, family member, or friend. Ask them to call 911 if they hear a disturbance. Establish a “code word” or “sign” so they know when to call for help.
- Always keep a packed bag ready in a safe place with easy access.
- Have a copy of important papers (including birth certificates, social security cards, etc.)
- Save and document all contacts, messages, injuries, or other incidents involving your partner.
- Know where you would go to be safe if you have to leave, including places within walking distances if you cannot access your vehicle.
- Consider filing a protective order through the courts. Remember it is important to follow existing court orders (i.e. custody orders, visitation orders, protective orders, divorce, etc.)
- If you have to meet your partner, do it in a public place.
Visitation Safety Planning
- Document exchanges, including who was involved and any altercations.
- Always keep court documents on you and contact the police if needed.
- Request that visitations be in public places like a bank, fast food locations, etc.
- Request that all verbal and phone contact be stopped (except for emergencies) and that all communications happen through text or email.
Crisis Intervention & Counseling
Albion Fellows Bacon Center
Southwestern Behavioral Healthcare
Holly’s House (reporting site)
DCS/CPS (Child Protective Services)
Parenting Time Center
Evansville Police Department
Vanderburgh Sheriff’s Office/Jail
Prosecutor’s Office/Victims Assistance
Child Support Division
Legal Aid Society
Indiana Legal Services
St. Mary’s Hospital
Deaconess Family Practice